Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Camping 2014  (Read 7067 times)

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 105
  • There's Only One
  • Referrals: 1
Camping 2014
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
Oh Crikey

Silky has got ahead of the game already - the 2014 camping trips are published already ... albeit with some (significant) info not yet available

Look: http://www.singlewithkids.co.uk/holiday_grid1/

Go Silky :)
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Camping 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »
I have already been making notes for the calender in my new Sept 2013 - Dec 2014 diary :)

I keep checking back for prices and dates but hoping to do Peaks, Severn and Wicksteed up to now!
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 17
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
As soon as dates and prices are up I'm going to get planning.  Counting on Peaks and Wicksteed.  Possibly Severn and maybe others depending on dates and how it meshes with contact schedule.  Loved New Forest last year, but it will be a maybe for me this time.

Right now I'm planning on how to stock up my gear in the off season when it is a bit cheaper.
"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."   --Jane Austen

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 112
  • -Receive: 103
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:19:50 AM »
We're just in the process of finishing off a brand new website and shortly after we'll have at least a couple of the dates and prices online. Some sites (New Forest) don't let us book until January for some very strange to understand reason but we'll at least get some of the other 'staples' in and online.  As well as the usual weekends, we'll hopefully have another longer camp for the May bank holiday week too - still a tbc at the moment regards location but probably somewhere fairly central.

In the interim there's a few cold and dark months of winter to occupy you with and take your minds off sleeping under canvas ;-)

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
I have just paid the deposit for my first camping trip planned for 2014 (not with SWK). 

And just brought two packets of 'Look What We Found Meatballs' to take with us as they were reduced to the bargain price of £1.00.
;D Happy days
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline obibornkenobe

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »
I'm newly bereaved (wow that doesn't sound quite right!) in April,so am now facing holidays alone with the kids for the first time. I've just bought a motorhome so I'm looking forward to coming on some of these camps with my 3 kids 14,16 & 16 (I've an 18 yr old too but she has her own daughter so won't be coming with me anymore!)

cheers,

Mark

Offline Cushion Plumper

• SWK Member
  • addict
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 93
  • Life is a journey - not a destination.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »
Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear of your recent bereavement.  Becoming a single parent this way is very different to most of us on here, certainly different to my choice of how I became a single parent.  However, I hope that you are able to enjoy the different aspects that SWK gives to single parenting as there are many joys to be had in all of the heartache and difficulties - and you will be the envy of many when you turn up in a MOTORHOME!  I mean, it's a MOTORHOME, not a CAMPER VAN, (having recently been to the NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show I believe there is a HUGE difference between the two).  I should imagine a certain SWK member (goes by the name of Silky) would get a bit green with envy if you parked up next to her.

Now if I had Motor Home, or even a Camper Van, I may be tempted to venture on an SWK camping trip, but I don't do tents and camping.  However, I have started to do day visits to established camp sites and impose on people who I have met once or twice (or sometimes not at all) and hang out around their gazebo/stove/barbeque long enough to be offered something to eat and drink and then take advantage!  So who knows, if you book a trip next year and I gate crash it and spot a Motor Home I will make a beeline for it and say hello and hang around for a nice gourmet meal as the ones I saw had proper cookers in them.

(BTW - not saying there's anything wrong with WT4's cooking on a gas stove at all, his corned beef hash is delish!)

PS  When I say I hang around to be offered food and drink and then take advantage I don't mean take advantage in THAT way  ;)
It doesn't matter where you go in life, what you do or how much you have; it's who you have beside you...

Offline Scoobynutta

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »

I have started to do day visits to established camp sites and impose on people who I have met once or twice (or sometimes not at all) and hang out around their gazebo/stove/barbeque long enough to be offered something to eat and drink and then take advantage!  So who knows, if you book a trip next year and I gate crash it and spot a Motor Home I will make a beeline for it and say hello and hang around for a nice gourmet meal as the ones I saw had proper cookers in them.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm hoping to get a camper very soon.

Offline irishcraftylass

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
Mark - I think that is the beauty of SWK, people from all backgrounds and situations and no one judges!  A great place that I've met some lovely people.  Have been away for a while, but happy to be back. I have never camped either, but brought a tent at the middle of this year and some stuff and well I have stuff so would be rude not to book.  The notts girls will think it is a mirage! Lol.

Nicky x

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
Welcome Mark

The New Forest camp is a good one too - and presumably not too far from you.

Everytime someone posts on this thread, I think the camping trips are online!  Its only November and I am getting impatient already  ;D

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
Everytime someone posts on this thread, I think the camping trips are online!  Its only November and I am getting impatient already  ;D

I don't think this is a secret: http://goo.gl/MqQZvj

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
Well clearly Chrissie has been keeping it a secret from me  :D  :D  :D

I have been keeping an eye (or two) on the old website.  Thought they new website was still in the nearly ready stage, didnt know it was all pretty, shiney(sp?) and functioning.

You have just made an old woman very happy WT4.......

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »

Oh my  :o

Offline Scoobynutta

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
Gonna try and book something ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:19:39 AM by Scoobynutta »

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
I did not see dates up yet either!  Another lady you've made happy WT4!  Does Severn always fall on Father's Day weekend?  I'd quite like to do that one, but we tend to make sure my ex has E for Father's day and I do for Mother's day - so I fear that won't be workable.
"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."   --Jane Austen

Offline debs2702

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »

The things you can do on cyber space now ..... ;)

So who knows, if you book a trip next year and I gate crash it and spot a Motor Home I will make a beeline for it and say hello and hang around for a nice gourmet meal as the ones I saw had proper cookers in them.

PS  When I say I hang around to be offered food and drink and then take advantage I don't mean take advantage in THAT way  ;)

CP  - you do make me laugh.  Careful, we don't want to frighten newbies away lol   ;D

I'm newly bereaved (wow that doesn't sound quite right!) in April,so am now facing holidays alone with the kids for the first time. I've just bought a motorhome so I'm looking forward to coming on some of these camps with my 3 kids 14,16 & 16 (I've an 18 yr old too but she has her own daughter so won't be coming with me anymore!)

cheers,

Mark

Welcome Mark, sorry to hear of your loss.  Must be really hard and well done for finding SWK.  They are a great bunch  :-) 

WT4, Sing song Phil and a few others have persuaded me to try camping next year sooo we will see.  So my Santa List is as follows:-  Big tent, (chandeliers optional), portable double bed (well its what I'm used to sleeping on, why should I change now) , feather and down duvet cover, wood burning stove   oh hang on a minute its camping isn't it, guess it will just have to be billy cans, metal cup, plate, bowl and cutlery set (last time I went camping it was necessary)  ;D

Soooo when the sun shines brightly who knows I may join you campaholics next year LOL and see what all the fuss is about!!  ;D

If life deals you lemons, make lemonade!!

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
WT4, Sing song Phil and a few others have persuaded me to try camping next year [...]

Soooo when the sun shines brightly who knows I may join you campaholics next year LOL and see what all the fuss is about!!  ;D

If necessary we'll call round and drag you off kicking & screaming :)

Wicksteed is probably your closest, but I'd suggest you need to get to one of the others earlier in the year ... Severn Valley or New Forest ... or both.

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
Just booked for Peaks.  Still waiting on confirmation of a few dates before I can book any more.  I'm off to go drool over more gear.

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
Just 16 weeks till Spring Camp :D

Offline hippychick01

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
We're booked on spring camp too... can't wait  ;D
Forget health food. I'm at an age where I need all the preservatives I can get.

Offline Cheskabinks

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
I've booked today for spring camp. It's me, my son Harrison whose 7 and the dog Buster,
a little shih tzu.

It's our first SWK trip, and I'm a bit nervousness but really looking forward to it.

Julie x

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
Buster & Harrison will have a great time.

You, on the other hand, will simply have to drink plenty wine/beer/vodka/tea and chew the fat with a whole heap of other people that already know exactly where you're coming from ... which will be awful of course but !'m sure you'll find the strength to rise to the occasion.

PS: Try not to be nervous ... really no need.

Offline hippychick01

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
I've booked today for spring camp. It's me, my son Harrison whose 7 and the dog Buster,
a little shih tzu.

You will make friends, Harrison will make friends and Buster might even make friends with my Daisy... a "sprocker" spaniel on her first SWK camping trip :) x
Forget health food. I'm at an age where I need all the preservatives I can get.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 112
  • -Receive: 103
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
16 weeks?  That's aaaages off....   :-(

Mind you, it might give me a chance to get the van fixed in the interim, it was unceremoniously dumped after it engine blew in September, now there's a hint of the nights getting lighter it's fighting for my attention again.

All we need this year is the same fabulous sunshine we had on our first trip to the Peaks - here's hoping!

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Cheskabinks

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
I've got a Montana 6 tent which is massive, so may look for a smaller one just for the weekend, any suggestions? 

Harrison and I Love camping but the ex wasn't that keen so we weren't able to go that often, I'm going to have a look at the other camping weekends too.

Julie x

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
15 weeks now ... someone will pop up and start counting the "sleeps till" soon :D

Nobody ever got bounced off this forum for recommending Vango ... although Hi Gear appears to have quite a following these days.

A weekend away for our tribe can be a bit of a logistical nightmare ... but it seems we have the makings of a workable plan for Peaks/Spring Camp ... Silky, I'll let you know the body count when it's finalised.  It's a plan that worked for us at New Forest last year ... and I'm hoping we can keep refining and re-using it for many trips to come.

Anyway ... looks like (some of us) will be at Peaks ... see you there :)

Offline Sqizzer

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
Can't make peaks but will be doing my UK/adult camping debut at New Forest with the little one. We went looking at tents and he LOVED it. Already understands 'man-cave' so this could be good! He will be two by then and hopefully talking, even if just a little bit
be KIND... for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about!

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
I'm coming to peaks  ;D

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
Just booked Peaks for me and my 7year old son  ;D

Can't wait for the new camping season to begin! Peaks is just up the road from me too. It's 13 weeks tomorrow WT4   :D

Trying to be a bit restrained about how much more kit I need... Thermals are definitely on my list! Maybe camp beds, maybe a kitchen! Oh and carpet, better lamp, 2nd stove, the list goes on.

Just noticed the new trip to Tewksbury at end of May for half term. Looks good. Having a think about it but need to save some pennies before booking. Tempted though, its a nice area. And be nice to have 3 or 4 nights and then a few days off before its back to school. Any takers?

For those who haven't camped before with SWK (or at all) these trips are great. We did Severn Valley and Wicksteed last year and met some lovely people. There is always someone to chat to (and help if you need it) and M had a ball! Looking forward to seeing you / meeting you there :)
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline Cheskabinks

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »
Purple jay

It's my first SWK camoing trip and I have a 7 year old son too!!

I'm Julie, and my sins name is Harrison. We are also bringing  our little dog Buster x

Julie

Offline debs2702

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »
Trying to be a bit restrained about how much more kit I need... Thermals are definitely on my list! Maybe camp beds, maybe a kitchen! Oh and carpet, better lamp, 2nd stove, the list goes on.

how about thigh length wellie boots (down boys!!) and a canoe perhaps.

I jest but honestly I heard today on the radio that even if the rain stops tomorrow, the water levels are going to take to at least May to be restored!!  So joking aside seriously make sure you take that info on board when packing or as my dear ole nan would say missy you gonna get your drawers wet!! lol
If life deals you lemons, make lemonade!!

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »
The Lakeside one will more than likely be our first when this rain eventually stops. Peaks is a bit far for me for just a weekend, but it's a lovely place.

I suspect this will be our last year camping given my daughters age, so going to make the most of it :)

Stuart
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »

I'm Julie, and my sins name is [...]

Ha Ha ... was that deliberate I wonder ... or the best typo ever :)

Offline Cheskabinks

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
It was a typo!!

Jx

Offline WT4Topic starter

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • There's Only One
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Yesterday brought blazing sunshine and bright blue skies to our wee corner.

After a good session with the chop-saw out in the front yard we now have 36 bags of fire wood - with luck that should see us through the remaining winter and well into fire-pit season.

Bring on the summer sun.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.