Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bed Time Routine  (Read 806 times)

Offline Slbm42Topic starter

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Bed Time Routine
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
Hiya

Just some advise really

Do you think a bedroom night time routine is important

What time do parents in this forum think is appropriate for an 8 year old to go to bed ?

1.    On a school night

2.    On a weekend

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Offline monkeys mom

• Administrator
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 19
Re: Bed Time Routine
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
At that age I'd say yes a routine is still needed and even more so once they hit secondary school. I've always let me lad stay up a little later on Friday and Saturday nights but early on Sunday then set time Mon-Thurs.

I'd say around 8.30 in bed and lights out on Mon-Thursday. The routine is up to you but normally reading or something to switch off and calm down right before lights out x
Sometimes when you give up on someone, its not because you don't care but because you realise that they don't.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 112
  • -Receive: 103
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
I totally do.  Not only for the child but for you too !  You need a chance to breathe, have some space and relax...

The best thing my ex ever did (bless him) was to enforce a strict bed time routine when my kids were toddlers. Bed time meant bed time and there was no messing around. It actually came to the point that they appreciated it too after mad days of rushing around or school.  It used to be 7pm for the first few years, by the end of primary school it crept up to around 8:00pm with half an hour reading.  Weekends stretch 30-60 mins.

Mine are 15 and 16 now and it's become a little more fuzzy though my 15 year old often puts herself to bed earlier than I'd have stipulated. The problem comes now at the other end - I can never get  them out of bed !

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline LSkeld

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »
As my little one isn't 8 yet, I can only speak from personal experience from my childhood... but me and my brother were going to bed just before 8 on school nights, and then maybe 8:30ish on a weekend. It seemed to work pretty well, and I had enough energy to get me through the day, so I'll probably be following this routine with my child. Hope that helps!

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.