Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Teenage girl monthly problems  (Read 4656 times)

Offline mumtoattitudeTopic starter

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 27
  • Referrals: 0
Teenage girl monthly problems
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
Well she's not a teenager, but nearly.  Started her periods just over a year ago.  They really cripple her.  SHe gets headache, backache, stomach cramps, feels queasy, feels really low, looks pale and washed out, for a good 3 days.  She is actually having a day of school many months which cannot continue.  However, if she fel like that for ay other reason she would be off for longer.  Does anyone know what I can do to help?  My GP wanted to put her on the pill, I know this can help, but am reluctant to pump her full of hormones before her 13th birthday.  I may have to but can't help but think there are other things to try first.  She has been taking a vitamin B complex and primrose oil for the last couple of months and they are not helping yet.  She is also vegetarian which the GP thinks should make no difference, but I don't know if there is some suppliment she is lacking.  She eats no meat, fish or eggs. 
Has anyone got any ideas of things that helped them or their daughters.  I am at wits end. Thanks

Offline lyndsey999

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Teenage girl monthly problems
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
ask your gp for blood test first make sure nothing underlying anaemia etc.

the  pill can help, have you tried simple analgesia reg every four hours. unforts some periods do cripple people and I feel for her so young to women probs are down right rubbish. maybe even the pill injection that stops periods maybe useful just to get her thru school so doesn't lose out on education

Offline Lind

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
What medication have you tried?  Paracetamol didn't help my daughter but ibuprofen (nurofen) seems to do the trick.

Offline lyndsey999

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
whats the analgesia aims at periods pain, sure its just a selling tool but I spose your child like this anything is worth a try.

Offline MichealP

• addict
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
My oldest was the same (as was her mother and maternal grand mother), she however suffers form migraines so she used the mini pill for a while and then when it was clear that it suited her she went onto the injection when she was 12, she started the pill at 11.

She had severe cramps (she often couldn't stand due to them), sickness, migraine and diarrhea during her period, her period however was very light but normally lasted a week, they all stopped on both the pill and the injection. Really the best thing for her would have been the implanon, but it wasn't available for her at the time, but she uses one now, well she must be on her second one by now.

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »
I was sort of hoping to be able to avoid pumping her with the hormnones of the pill so young.  Maybe I'll have to, but I was shocked that it is the first thing they think of.  PAinkillers don't work, even if takes the edge of pain, it's all the other symptoms that go with it.  I was wondering if there were some suppliments  that worked, though already trying evening primrose and vitamin B complex. 

No way would I let her have the injection.  That sent me loopy,  as well as adding 2 stone to me, I am still struggling to lose.  If it doesn't suit, they can't take it out.  Maybe we will have to go down the road of the pill.  LIke I say, just a shock that it was the first thing the Dr reached for at 12 years old.  Well saying that. apparently they ahve to ask for special permission or something to prescribe it at under 13, and she has e-mailed something off.  Oh it's not fair, she's not a woman, she's just a liitle girl.  She's worried eough about moving up to upper school and just ah to move middle school due to bullying.  Shouldn't ahve to put up with all this. 

Offline SarahJane

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
My DD is the same, had to collect her early from school on Friday as she nearly fainted. i was the same with my monthlies.  Don't think there is much you can do apart from hot water bottle and paracetamol or similar.  Maybe research some herbal remedies, i suggest vit B and oil of primrose.  Slight exercise and maybe some herbal tea's such as Chamomile and Raspberry leaf. 

Offline lulubird

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
Your daughter may not be keen on the idea, but acupuncture can help a lot, as can reflexology.  I realise you have to pay for these, but they are a far gentler and more natural way of dealing with things than artificial hormones.  I had both for severe menstrual problems (including endometriosis) when I was in my early twenties, and I have been healthy and pain free for the last 20 years.  Good luck   :-* 

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 151
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
Have you tried evening primrose? I used to take it. It worked quite well. I'm not sure what chemicals it releases that make it not good with the pill.... so maybe it's some kind of pseudo-hormone. Maybe ask your doctor or pharmacist, or a GOOD herbalist (my UK GP also was aufait with herbal remedies) if they would recommend for a child not on the pill?

Edited because it's St Johns Wort that you can't take with the pill. Dur
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:43:05 PM by Ms_wormwood »
Onwards and upwards.

Offline katie_girl

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »
I'd be very reluctant for a young teenager to take hormonal contraception as well (and I'm definitely with you on depo). Have you looked into the dosage of evening primrose oil, iirc quite a high dose is needed to have an effect, also consider that starflower oil contains more if the active ingredient so might be a better alternative.  Another herbal supplement I've heard recommended is Angus Castus.

For low mood you could look into St Johns Wort but this wouldn't improve any of the other symptoms (this and Angus Castus should both be available in tincture form I think). If you think her iron levels might be low then spatone is a natural low dose iron supplement that is well absorbed and doesn't have the side effects of prescription iron (should be taken an hour before food or other medication with orange juice for best absorption).

Tranexamic acid can be prescribed for heavy periods. Agree that NSAIDs are better than paracetamol, diclofenac is great but I don't know if it is suitable for children; actually I don't really know about the suitability of any of the supplements/medications I've mentioned for children/adolescents but it's definitely worth doing some research I think. I hope you find a way to make things easier for her xxx

Offline MichealP

• addict
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
I was sort of hoping to be able to avoid pumping her with the hormnones of the pill so young.  Maybe I'll have to, but I was shocked that it is the first thing they think of.  PAinkillers don't work, even if takes the edge of pain, it's all the other symptoms that go with it.  I was wondering if there were some suppliments  that worked, though already trying evening primrose and vitamin B complex. 

No way would I let her have the injection.  That sent me loopy,  as well as adding 2 stone to me, I am still struggling to lose.  If it doesn't suit, they can't take it out.  Maybe we will have to go down the road of the pill.  LIke I say, just a shock that it was the first thing the Dr reached for at 12 years old.  Well saying that. apparently they ahve to ask for special permission or something to prescribe it at under 13, and she has e-mailed something off.  Oh it's not fair, she's not a woman, she's just a liitle girl.  She's worried eough about moving up to upper school and just ah to move middle school due to bullying.  Shouldn't ahve to put up with all this.

The Depo contains exactly the same hormones as the mini pill, you are prescribed the mini pill for x amount of months to see how your body reacts, if it suits you can then have the injection. It isn't the depo making you put on weight, its you eating more!

Yes you do need special permission under a certain age, she didn't need her blood pressure taken more regularly, but as she was very small for her age she did need a blood test after her first 21 days to check her hormone levels to ensure they weren't too high. Before her doctor would prescribe it they had to test her for endometriosis (due to her symptoms) she didn't have it but she did turn out to have PCOS, being a migraine suffer she cannot have the combination pill which is essentially the 'treatment' for PCOS.

She did have a six monthly review until she was 14, that wasn't as she had PCOS, at our doctors it is standard for any patient on any form of medical contraception when under the age of 14, then it just went to the standard 12 month review.

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
Oh Michael, sensitive as ever.  Michael.  Believe me!  Depo sent me off the scale emotionally.  I went loop the loop!  It also made me put on weight.  My eating didn't change, still hasn't.  It was confirmed by a doctor that this is often the case.  Apparently it doesn't make you put on but stops you losing.  So normal cycle most women do to maintain.  Is after a holiday or good weekend blow out, you cut back to offset the damage and lose the couple of lbs you put on.  Depo hinders the losing bit.  So you go on holiday, have a good weekend etc, put on a couple of lbs and instead of losing them again, they stay, so over a period of time, you get bigger.  As I say Dr confirmed this to be the case, as did Brook Adviser I know.  And yes, mini pill also stops you losing.  I know that to lose half a stone involves coming off the mini pill for a couple of months.  Impossible when on depo. 

As for artificial hormones for a 12 year old.  I may have to do it last resort, just want to exhaust other options first.  Evening primrose and vit B complex is what we are doing at the moment, only in 3rd month, but no better.  I have heard Starflower oil is better, so will try this now.  I wondered if, with her being veggie, no meat, fish, or eggs, and rubbish at trying different veg, whether there may be some deficiency.  Might try something which helps with iron levels.  Thanks for all your replies

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 17
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
One thing Michael said reminded me of something you may want to consider - are there any other symptoms that might point to PCOS?  I've known a number of people who had particularly miserable cycles and all were ultimately diagnosed with PCOS as well.  I've no idea if there is causation, but there is certainly correlation.   Treating that can sometimes lessen the debilitating symptoms when both are present.
"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."   --Jane Austen

Offline Deborah43

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
Depo sent me off the scale emotionally.  I went loop the loop!   

I would agree with this.  In fact, one doctor put me on it, and after I had struggled with....well, let's say some very random thinking and some very black thoughts, I went back and saw another Dr who immediately recognised that I should never have Depo again.  Ever.  Works for some and not for others so tbf it's trial and error but I'd best err on the side of extreme caution with that one.

I too used to get debilitating period pains when a teen - and I was put on the pill and that did work for me.  I can even now recall the Dr at the time telling me that the only thing that would ever stop the pain each month would be to have a baby.  In fact I think things eased off over time and as many of us have realised such things do change over time.  But the now is the important thing and you should explore as many alternatives as possible but it might be that she'll need some hormonal input for things to ease off.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Offline Sqizzer

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
This may sound very very silly but iron - not supplements though. Stock up on beetroot and spinach a day or two before and continue during, and a little pain bomb (500mg paracetamol usually 1 pill and 400mg ibuprofen usually 2 pills) every4-6 hours on the first day but continue on the second day if necessary (preferably no more than 48hrs)and then the usual helpers of lavender oil to sooth in the bath and hot water bottle

An alternative to giving her hormones... But may end up being the only thin that helps. I understand your not wanting to substitute with hormones in an already hormone rampant little body so try the above maybe that'll help

X
be KIND... for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about!

Offline scatily

• addict
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
My doctor gave me super duper pain killers at 16, older I know but the pain used to make me sick and faint. It wasn't until I passed out on the steps at college that they gave me the painkiller (sorry can't remember what but they were big yellow tablets as I recall) but that worked for me. It meant just a few days each month of pill popping and then back to normal, well normal for a grumpy teenager  ;D. Unfortunately it is often true that having a baby eases the whole experience up, did for me certainly. Not the recommended solution at 12 though  ;)

I would be reluctant to go down the pill route at 12 too tbh, in fact i'm reluctant at 35 as the 3 I have tried over last 15 or so years all made me mental and feel ill  :-\

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 151
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »
This may sound very very silly but iron - not supplements though. Stock up on beetroot and spinach a day or two before and continue during, and a little pain bomb (500mg paracetamol usually 1 pill and 400mg ibuprofen usually 2 pills) every4-6 hours on the first day but continue on the second day if necessary (preferably no more than 48hrs)and then the usual helpers of lavender oil to sooth in the bath and hot water bottle

X
Interesting. I always craved red things when I was premenstal, maybe it was an iron thing.
Onwards and upwards.

Offline Clarabelle

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »
My doctor gave me super duper pain killers at 16, older I know but the pain used to make me sick and faint. It wasn't until I passed out on the steps at college that they gave me the painkiller (sorry can't remember what but they were big yellow tablets as I recall) but that worked for me.

These sound a bit like some I had, mefenamic acid or something I think?  I too was prescribed them after passing out with the pain when I was younger.   Agreed the baby thing helps, but maybe not the best option for one so young...
My daughter suffers too but is reluctant to take pills.  She uses a hot water bottle if home and someone recommended Basset's Clarnico Mint Creams which bizzarely she finds a help
Life's way too short for regrets.....

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 11:06:17 PM »
I did wonder about iron, especially with her being veggie.  She ahs been since she was 4.  I will not get her to eat spinach though,and I do believe she doesn't eat enough iron rich foods.  I may ask parmacist for a suppliment. PCOS is another thought, Dr didn't even mention thinking about this, just sticking her straight on the pill.  She fired off an e-mail asking eprmission, and I've not been back since.  I give her painkillers, but it isn't just the pain that's the problem, maybe need stronger ones.  I too remember being told at about 16 that it will be better when I'd had a baby.  I remember going on the pill at 16, and it being soo much better.  Just don't know what to do for the best.  Still think pill is only when all other avenues are exhausted though. 

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 17
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
I had another thought on this I figured I should mention.  As well as iron levels, it is worth looking at B12 (which, among other things, regulates the absorption of iron) and magnesium, which does lots but is relevant here because it has to do with muscle and, to a slightly lesser degree, nerve function.

The former can be helped with a b-complex, which can also help with the fatigue.  The latter often assists with period pain and is the reason some women crave chocolate!  Most nuts and seeds are high in magnesium (double win on the protein too!) as well as cocoa powder/dark chocolate.   One caution though - it is better to go with slight changes to your diet and don't overdo it with supplements because too much magnesium will lead to diarrhea as your body tries to dispose of the excess.

I confess, I like this because it gives me a legitimate reason to munch on chocolate covered brazil nuts at least once a month!
"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."   --Jane Austen

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
Thanks Pearl.  She loves nuts, and they are a healthy protein filled snack.  Think I'll ahve to get some.  I ahve started primrose oil and citamin B complex, and we'll see.  Thanks.  I'll keep you all updated.  It just seems such a shame to have to deal with all this at 12. 

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
Here she goes again.  Bless.  Sets the whole house off though.  Her poor little sister got it full throttle this morning, but no point in causing a row this morning, i'll pull her up when she can be more reasonable.  Evening primrose oil isn't working yet at any rate.  It's been a month.  She said this morning, it's nothing to do with PMS, that she has back ache, tummy ache, headache, feels sick, and feels low with no energy becayse she's ill, not because of her cycle.  Aaahh.  Bless

Offline Miss Sunshine

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
Acupuncture would help if she will have it.  Its not painful at all  ;D

Offline Skippy

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »
I really sympathise with your daughter...I had this at your daughters age and my daughter has suffered badly too.
I'm using Lady's Mantle Tea.my gynaecologist said if every woman drank it he'd cut ALL  gynae problems by. 80% .This isn't a soother, it's a medicine in tea form that really works!

You can buy it ( but don't buy a combination tea) or grow it in the garden as we do for free tea from May to October : )
the packets of tea bags are around £3 but difficult to find ( Ebay us the only place I can get it for the Winter)
I drink 3 -5 cups every day.

It's a delicate green tea and  doesn't  have any contra indications except for pregnancy as it coagulates the blood ( staunches bleeing)and is hormone free.
I hope you try it; it is amazing, powerful but gentle and I couldn't function fir 3 -4 dats each month without it. I'm so glad I found it.x

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Alchemilla+xanthochlora

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
 LAdys Mantle Tea.  I'll definitely try this.  Do you drink it every day, or just certain days a month?

I think acupuncture is definitely out of the window.  we had to go to the specialist unit at the hospital just for a blood test, such is her fear of needles.  Big woos that she is.  Tea, I think she could manage.  We'll give it a go. 

Offline Skippy

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
Every day...as often as you can manage, I drink A LOT of tea and have swopped it for LM tea quite easily You can't overdose on it.It's great for menopausal symptoms too , so much better than the awful huge tablets I was prescribed that had so many scary side effects I was  worried each time I took one! Hope it helps, give it a month or so to build up in the system and to kick in x

• trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Thanks.  we'll try

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • Referrals: 9
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
Hi, sorry to hijack the post, but I've been reading up on the Lady's mantle tea. I think it would help me with some problems I have, but I can't seem to find it in any shops. It only seems available online and I'm a bit wary that if I buy it online it could have anything in it.

Any advice on how to know if it is what is says it is?
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
I have recently started taking mefanamic acid for period pain and it really helps. I had something during my teens (pre pill) which was also a big yellow tablet so was probably the same thing. Ask the gp. She would only need it when at her worst.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline Skippy

• SWK Member
  • trainee
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »
Hi Dora ( sorry mumofattitude!) I buy a brand called Apothake in the winter, just look n the ingredients, it should just say 'Alchemilea' which  is the Latin name...it's reallybeasyvto grow though and sold everywhere as a plant ( and free too then:) ) x

Offline Suiky

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
I think that painful periods are not normal. You should take your daughter to a doctor. I once spent a lot of time on the ice skating rink in a short jacket. After that I started to have very painful periods. I took painkillers, but it only got easier for me for a while. I went to the doctor. I underwent examination in two clinics (in my clinic there was no necessary equipment, for example https://bimedis.com/search/search-items/endoscopy-equipment ) Then to me have appointed or nominated treatment. My periods became regular and didn't hurt so much anymore.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.