Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Which device best for Minecraft?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline HappimammaTopic starter

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 9
  • Referrals: 1
Which device best for Minecraft?
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
I can't hold off the urgent request for Minecraft for another Christmas and with ex and mother offering to go 1/3rds now is the time.

Last year I said no on the basis that she has a Nintendo 3DS and Wii U already.  (I understand Minecraft is not available for Nintendo)

So what are the options? or What is the best option?

ipad / playing online?  Xbox?

Can xbox easiy be interchanged with Wii U just by plugging one or the other in to TV ?

Child is nearly eight.

What kind of set-up have people found satisfactory?

Thanks,

Happimamma

Is the full version worth going for?

Offline Foggy

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 8
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Which device best for Minecraft?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
All I can say is that my 7 (soon to be 8) year old son is addicted to it. He has the ipad version and the xbox (which simply plugs into the TV in the same way as the Wii).  I did get on old flat screen TV to leave the xbox connected to permanently, otherwise I will never get to watch TV !!!

From what I gather the xbox version is better, but you will soon be being badgered to subscribe to xbox live (internet connection) so that she can connect with friends and play together --- you have to drum in the usual online safety rules for this and there are people out there who invade the kids worlds and destroy them !!!  MY son and his mum play together in the Minecraft world.

I think the ipad version can connect to others anyway, being already internet connected.

I am not too "up" on it all as his mum set it up !  He is away at the moment -- I will ask for his critique when he returns at the weekend.

Offline scatily

• addict
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »
It's important to find out what console her friends are using if one day she will want to interact with them online (maybe not yet but a couple if years and this is what it is all about). J wanted the Xbox (new one can't remember name) or PS4 really but all his friends are PS3 so for him being able to play with his friends, visit their worlds, invite them to his was so important he opted for a used PS3 for now. He has put all the money he saved away ready for when his friends update consoles, he will do the same then.

He also has the ipod and various app versions and the PC version which IMO was a total waste of money. His favoured means of playing us by far the PS, ipod for on the move gaming but it has much less features, I'm told!

Offline scatily

• addict
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:10 AM »
Oh btw PlayStation just plugs in via HDMI point, we have it on a different tv to the wii though as I don't want minecraft on in the lounge all the time. You don't have to pay a monthly fee for PS3 to play each other online so that's a definite bonus if there us got Xbox. She may well want accessories such as a headset to talk to friends, J's Bluetooth one is rubbish, the wired version for £5 works much better

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
Thanks so much for the responses.  I have just asked her what her friends play it on.  ipad seems to be the answer.  She doesn't like playing it on the xbox360 because the controls are too hard for her .  She originally did ask for an ipad for Minecraft  - "a big one, not a new little one sort of thing" I guess she knows all about what she wants then!

Kids I know that play on ipads play on their parent's ipads but I don't have any desire for one.

If she has one of her own can it be connected to my wifi / internet account?  I could set it up as mine I suppose and put parental controls on.  I have just explained that to her and she says "It doesn't have to be on the internet" Well, Its a bit of an expensive thing then to have an ipad and not be connected?

I guess she knows all about it but please do come back with any other useful comments or suggestions as the comments so far have helped me to get my head round it a bit - Much appreciated!

Offline scatily

• addict
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
Hmm, right from the mouth of an 11 year old expert!

iPod/iPad is fine as long as you only want to play in single player mode, you cannot interact with others on these most of the time. You can play it offline single player once you have downloaded the app so good for travelling etc. If she wanted to play multi player her and a friend would need to be on the same wifi source. J says ipod is fine for this - these are much cheaper and good for using on the move as they are the size of a phone. I have a full size iPad and although the app is on there he only ever uses his smaller ipod. £350-£500 for a full size iPad is a lot of money to spend on an 8 year old, you can almost guarantee it will get dropped at some point. A new screen is £100 plus so do consider all this as well. iPad mini is an in between size and slightly cheaper starting at around £250 ish. Ipod cheaper still and broken screens can be replaced relatively cheaply.

You do need to read up on security settings etc, itunes accounts and in app purchases and settings if you go for an apple product. J has his own itunes account which is not linked to a payment card, I can top up his account online via my iTunes account or people can buy him gift cards in supermarkets etc. I wouldn't link up your bank account! You can place age restrictions for downloads so for example as J is 11 until recently he was restricted to age 12 or under apps, I have just upped it to 15 as there was nothing in-between but he can be trusted to be sensible. 

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »
Thanks Scatily and thanks to your 11 year old.  I will ponder these useful considerations :-)

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
Is a 16GB ipad enough fro Minecraft?

Offline Foggy

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
Mine has a 16gb and plays Minecraft (and a zillion other games on it). We do have to clear out the memory now and again -- but that's because of all the apps he collects. not Minecraft.

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
Thanks Foggy - that's great.  I've found a good price on a 16GB one.  I'm finally there!  I can see that the Xbox is better but my daughter finds the controls difficult and her best mate plays Minecraft on an ipad so decision made at last.

Thanks for all the replies.

Kendra

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
I play on ipad :D

M who is 8 plays on his Kindle Fire HD mostly which he loves.

We can play together in the same world on out home wifi. He can also take his kindle to friends houses to play if they have the tablet (pocket) version.

We have xbox version too but he hasn't played it that much... He is pestering for xbox live but I have been holding out for now.

He bough pc version with his birthday money earlier this month.  I find pc controls easier than xbox and it has more content than pocket (although that is improving with each update). M still plays mostly on his Kindle though. That was a great buy.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »
Thanks Purplejay,  I think we're going for the ipad but your reply and others have given me a really good handle on what's what. Thanks ppl

Offline Suiky

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »
My child (my son is 7 years old) is playing on the phone. We gave him an old iPhone. Before giving the phone to him we replaced the screen and the battery, here https://misterfix.us/shop/iphone-repair/iphone-6/ it was done. The phone began to work better. I believe that iPhone is enough for child to play. Especially the son has the console from his father. For this Christmas we want to buy a tablet for a child.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.