Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is anyone dealing with a financially abusive ex?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline OnyxTopic starter

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Is anyone dealing with a financially abusive ex?
« on: October 14, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »
Just that really, it would be nice to chat to someone who's in a similar boat to me.
My STBX is still financially controlling me and I can't get the money I need for our children without a fight every time despite him being a very high earner, as he's abroad and I'm still waiting for child maintenance to kick in.
The next few months will be awful as he's due to return so wondered if I could find someone to hold my hand through it!

Offline The three of us

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Is anyone dealing with a financially abusive ex?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. I have a financially abusive ex but rather than controlling my money, he stole from me systematically for years, taking money from my purse, withdrawing money with my bank card (finding out the code when I changed it), taking money from my safe (yes, I had to have one in my own home!) and even walking into the bank with a forged signature and persuading them to let him take money out of my account. I've ended up with a deep phobia of anything money-related and will be undergoing high-intensity CBT to try to sort my head out.
So, I don't think we've had very similar experiences but I wanted to reply and send you my thoughts because financial abuse is horrible. x

Offline monkeys mom

• Administrator
  • trainee
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Is anyone dealing with a financially abusive ex?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
Hi Onyx, it's horrible when the ex uses money to control the other partner and you're right to recognise it as abuse.

It's a bit quiet on the forum these days but I can pop this up as an anonymous question on the SWK page if you wish - you'll be able to see the responses and maybe message anyone who has been in a similar situation (or even going through it now) so you can get support.

xx
Sometimes when you give up on someone, its not because you don't care but because you realise that they don't.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.